Did you know that Newport has over 300 pre-Revolutionary War era buildings still standing—more than any other city in the United States? And, that Newport had an early history of religious tolerance, a policy that paved the way to American independence? Or, that in the 19th century Newport was home to many important artists, writers and architects?
Let Newport History Tours’ guides introduce you to the city’s three centuries of American history.
Newport History Tours are entertaining, affordable and intimate. Led by expert guides, and based on material in the Newport Historical Society’s extensive manuscript collection, each tour lasts approximately 75 minutes.
Newport History Tours are offered year-round. Call 401-841-8770 to make reservations.
- Peter Harrison’s Newport: September 21, 2013 at 11am*
- Discover Colonial Newport: Monday, Wednesday & Friday at 10am
- Golden to Gilded: Tuesday, Thursday, Saturday at 10am
- Miantonomi Park Tree Walk & History Tour: October 19, 2013 at 11am*
- Newport Squared Tour: October 26, 2013 at 11am*
- Colony House, Great Friends Meeting House & Wanton-Lyman-Hazard House Site Tours: Offered Daily 11am – 3pm through December
- Museum of Newport History: Open daily at 10am
- Whitehorne House Museum: Open Thursdays-Mondays through October 31st; Guided Tours offered at 10:30am & 3pm; self-guided tours offered between 11am – 3pm.
See the schedule page for all tours. The * designates a “Tour of the Month”.